RPG Cataclysm
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Military personel and why they have their ranks.

3 posters

Go down

Military personel and why they have their ranks. Empty Military personel and why they have their ranks.

Post  Rick Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:36 am

Due to how I've noticed few people know about the military, I've seen that few people here who's names I won't mention think that all the officer's do to get their promotions is just sitting in a chair all day, I say that because during an rp where a military faction was in a mission, one person asked about bringing in their character who was in the officer's rank area and the few people that were there was telling the person that their officer wouldn't be on the planet in the middle of the mission that they would be on their ship. That is only true for some officers because some believe in just sitting and waiting for the ground mission to be over. How ever in an RP context and real life context, most officers would also be in said mission.

RP context example: A search and destroy mission to find and destroy sith communications arrays.

You wouldn't send just privates, sergeants or corporals. Of course other soldiers would be on this mission ranking from Lieutenant, Captain, Major as well as Lieutenant Colonel and Colonel.

RP context example 2: A counter attack mission against an enemy fortress.

The two examples above are missions that aren't just pick and choose, most missions like these and others people volunteer to go on. An officer ranking from commander or higher could volunteer to join this mission, how ever he/she wouldn't be running the mission, it be the person that they gave the mission to.

In RP context, this is why officers have their ranks, because of the battle experience ranging from any and every mission they have been assigned to or that they have volunteered into. They don't have their ranks because they sat on their butts. If this was true, the whole republic and sith military would be filled with generals and admirals. In short, you don't get promoted because your a bench warmer, you get promoted through your experiences and your skills.

IRL context Example: Operation Iraqi freedom

I don't need to remind people of Operation Iraqi freedom and many of the missions known and unknown to the public that were carried out during this time, nor do I need to remind people of how many soldiers lost their lives. How ever, to the soldiers that has survived this hardship mission, they gained the honor and respect of other soldiers from our own military and the world because of their experiences. Most soldiers and pilots from the military I would imagine has gotten promoted because of the hardship missions that was placed on their shoulders, and most that were in the military that fought in Iraq and Afghanistan were ranking from private up to general. Half were probably officers while the other half was lower rank soldiers (private and up) who all either lost their lives or survived. Those who survived either retired or were commended for their bravery while those who have died were remembered as the true hero's.

In reality, for those who doesn't know the military as well as they think, most soldiers that have died in war were given a two rank promotion for dieing in combat for freedom.

The reason why I am posting this is because nobody is taking military seriously, thinking privates up to sergeants went to war while officers laid in their beds. I take the military very seriously, in rp and in real life, and this is for people to learn one important lesson.

Soldiers don't get to where they are through laziness, they start from the bottom and reach for the top, fighting for freedom, their loved ones, and their families. The generals and admirals of the military are not where they are because of them sitting on their asses, they are where they are because of the tough choices they have to make and their capability to move on for freedom and to see the courage, bravery and heart that each individual soldier has with-in them.

When you make your character, whether good or evil, officer or enlisted-man (non-officer), take care in thinking how did he/she get to where they are, and what experiences did they have to show how they have reached to where they are now.

Rick

Back to top Go down

Military personel and why they have their ranks. Empty Re: Military personel and why they have their ranks.

Post  Kyro Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:34 am

I agree completely with Rick. Now please read this strange conversation I had with someone while I was sleeping the other night.

Me: awsome I'm an officer now!
Person dude: awthome now you can sit around and do NOTHING!
Me: HOW THE HELL DO I GER PROMOTIONS?!
Person dude: iunno just sit there idc <_<
Me stays same rank forever

That, ^ doesn't work now does it people.
Kyro
Kyro

Back to top Go down

Military personel and why they have their ranks. Empty Re: Military personel and why they have their ranks.

Post  Rick Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:36 am

Kyro wrote:I agree completely with Rick. Now please read this strange conversation I had with someone while I was sleeping the other night.

Me: awsome I'm an officer now!
Person dude: awthome now you can sit around and do NOTHING!
Me: HOW THE HELL DO I GER PROMOTIONS?!
Person dude: iunno just sit there idc <_<
Me stays same rank forever

That, ^ doesn't work now does it people.

That's actually how it seems people think it works in the military, IRL and IRP. Well here's reality for you folks, it doesn't work like that.

Rick

Back to top Go down

Post  Harrison Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:42 pm

I seem to recall that all of my high-rankers would still be doing their best to kick ass... Who in their right mind would think that all officers only did desk work?
Harrison
Harrison

Back to top Go down

Post  Rick Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:23 am

Harrison wrote:I seem to recall that all of my high-rankers would still be doing their best to kick ass... Who in their right mind would think that all officers only did desk work?

It was in an rp a while back where there was a small argument that officers wouldn't be on the battlefeild, and then again here on the forums when an admin caught a guy with having high stats for his character compared to their own military characters. It got fixed cause the Private's bio looked like he was a commander, and a comment was made that the private would have gotten those experiences because he was on the battlefield.

Just because a person is a private doesn't mean anything but that you just got out of training and now allowed to go on active duty.

Not sure if ya saw why I posted this, but it's to explain to people that believe officer's aren't suppose to be on the battlefield, they are allowed and a lot of times required ON the battlefield. It's how most soldiers gets to where most officers are now.

Rick

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down